The palace is located in what was called after the reconquest, Calle Real (Royal Street), then it changed to Pozuelo (Calle Pozuelo) and later on to Conde de los Andes, after the death of the 6th Conde de los Andes. The City Council named the street after him. The ceremony took place on the 18th September, 1963. It was chaired by his Lordship the Mayor Tomás García-Figueras.
The building has undergone many changes. Its construction is from the time of the Moors. The foundations are from that time and other remains have been found after renovations. We do not know to whom the house belonged to in time of the Moors but surely it was someone important due to its size and its proximity to the Alcazar (fortress).
The conquest of Jerez took place in 1264 when Alfonso X “The Sage” suffocated a revolt. The King gave away the city’s important houses to the forty knights whom he also left to live in the city. The book of distribution of Jerez houses is kept in the archives of the town hall which is in the Plaza de la Asuncion. From this book we know that the first Christian owner of the palace was Basco Martinez Trujillo. Basco's grandson, Juan Martinez de Trujillo, was the first of the 13 councilors of Jerez.
Possession was transmitted from parents to children, and in 1590, was linked to an entailed estate. From the Trujillo family the palace passed on to the Martinez de Hinojosa, another old noble family and one of the conquerors and settlers of Jerez. Mrs. Nicolasa Martinez de Hinojosa and Trujillo, mother of the Viceroy, married Don. Alvaro de la Serna, thus linking the house to this name. Mrs. Nicolasa de la Serna married Don Fernando Moreno, the surname is still held by the current owners.
The palace acquired its neoclassical imprint in the late XVIII and early XIX century, when the aristocracy finally settled in court and in other cities and their life ceased to be itinerant. As a result, the palaces increased their number of rooms, the furniture became more rich and heavy, and artistically adorned in response to a more intense social life imitating the Paris salons fashion.
The last renovations of the palace took place for the canonical coronation of the “Virgen Del Carmen”, in April 1925. A wing was added to the house to accommodate guests. Amongst the guests King Alfonso XIII and the whole of the government that came to attend this event.
1st Conde de los Andes
José de La Serna & Martinez de Hinojosa was born on the 28th July, 1770 in Jerez de la Frontera. He entered the military as a cadet at the age of 12. He participated in the War of Roussillon and the War of Independence, where he excelled at the Battle of Bailen and the defense of Zaragoza.
6th Conde de los Andes
Francisco Moreno Zuleta, Conde de los Andes, Marqués de Mortara, Knight of the Real Maestranza de Sevilla, was born in Jerez de la Frontera in 1881. He held a Doctorate in Law and a degree in philosophy. He was probably the most important person in Jerez in the first half of the 20th century.
7th Conde de los Andes
Francisco Moreno Herrera, 7th Conde de los Andes, Spanish grandee, was born in Jerez de la Frontera in 1909. He held a Doctorate in Law from the University of Madrid and a degree in Political Science from Oxford University. He married Teresa de Arteaga & Falguera, Marquesa de la Eliseda, daughter of the Duque del Infantado.